Dulce de leche is a confection prepared by heating condensed (mostly sweetened) milk to create a product that derives its taste from caramelization of the product, by changing its flavor and color. It is also called as milk candy, or milk jam. It is very popular all over Latin America.
This is how the final product looks like 🙂
The easiest way to try this at home is with a can of condensed milk and a pressure cooker. This trial is inspired by the facebook group ‘United By Food’ and the #OPOS cookbook.
1. Get a can of condensed milk. Nestle Milkmaid is very common here and the 400 g can is ideal.
2. Use a small pressure cooker, preferably 2 or 3 Liters.
3. Place the can in the cooker and fill water until half of the can is immersed in water.
4. Cook in medium flame for about 30 minutes. Number of whistles doesn’t matter.
5. Switch off the flame and allow the cooker to rest.
6. Open after it is completely cool.
You are ready to taste Dulce de leche. How easy can it get? Give it a shot ! You may eat this as a spread over bread, along with custard and many more ways.
IMPORTANT: This is very high in calories. Weight-watchers, BEWARE 🙂